Horticulture ID and Judging
This event supports the county 4-H plant science/horticulture program by providing an opportunity for 4 H members to acquire knowledge and skills in identification and selection of horticultural products (i.e. vegetables, fruits, flowers, ornamentals) and then apply these basic skills to consumer decision-making.
Florida 4-H Plant ID Modules
This Plant Identification Learning Module is an online tool for learning about plants. It is useful to plant enthusiasts as well as Florida 4-H Youth and Master Gardeners preparing for state contests. Images and information on 200 vegetables, fruits, and landscape plants are included. Use the handy self-test option to judge your progress.
Florida 4-H Horticulture Identification and Judging Publication – 4H PSJ 20
This publication provides guidelines and information for Florida 4-H members and Master Gardeners participating in state contests held annually at 4-H University or the Master Gardener Annual Conference. These contests provide the opportunity to study horticultural plants and their parts and products. Participation in the contest should result in improved abilities to recognize, use, grow, and appreciate the offerings of horticulture. Click here to download the contest rules and glossary.
When: Last week of July
Where: Gainesville, FL
Participation Criteria: 4-H’ers must be at least 14 years old by September 1 of the current program year.
- County: Establish own regulations
- District: Optional competition
- State: One senior level team consisting of three or four members (14-18 years old) per county.
- National: The state winning team is eligible to represent Florida in the National Junior Horticultural Association Conference and Contest. Eligibility is based on score received at the state contest and is awarded at the discretions of the state specialist.
- Trophies will be given to top individuals at the state level. Partial sponsorship to national competition may be provided to the first-place team and high individual, contingent upon available funding. In order to be eligible for partial sponsorship, the combined first place team score, and the high individual score, must be equal to or greater than 80%.