Horticulture ID and Judging
This event supports the county 4-H plant science/horticulture program by providing an opportunity for 4 H members to acquire knowledge and skills in identification and selection of horticultural products (i.e. vegetables, fruits, flowers, ornamentals) and then apply these basic skills to consumer decision-making.
Revised Study Materials:
- What is Botany?
- Flowers & Foliage – Study List & Slides
- Fruits & Nuts – Study List & Slides
- Vegetables – Study List & Slides
- Woody Ornamentals – Study List & Slides
- Score sheets (Junior, Intermediate, Senior)
- Florida 4-H Horticulture ID and Judging Contest Overview
Florida 4-H Horticulture Identification and Judging Publication – 4H PSJ 20
This publication provides guidelines and information for Florida 4-H members and Master Gardeners participating in state contests held annually at 4-H University or the Master Gardener Annual Conference. These contests provide the opportunity to study horticultural plants and their parts and products. Participation in the contest should result in improved abilities to recognize, use, grow, and appreciate the offerings of horticulture. Click here to download the contest rules and glossary.
When: June 20, 2020 – Starts @ 9:00am
Where: Sumter County Extension Office
7620 State Road 471, Suite 2
Bushnell, FL 33513-8716
On-Site Registration: Opens at 8:30am, contest starts at 9:00am
Registration Dates: April 24 to June 5, 2020 via Florida 4-H online
Cost: $10.00 (registration fee)
Who can Participate: Youth will compete in teams of 3 or 4 at the junior, intermediate, and senior levels. Each county can register a maximum of two junior, intermediate, and senior teams of 4, plus two individuals at each age level for a total of 30 participants. Individual youth may compete if there are not enough to participants to form a county team. The state winning senior team is eligible to represent Florida in the National Junior Horticultural Association Conference and Contest. Eligibility is based on score received at the state contest and is awarded at the discretion of the state specialist.
- Awards will be given to top individuals at the state level. Partial sponsorship to national competition may be provided to the first-place team and high individual, contingent upon available funding. In order to be eligible for partial sponsorship, the combined first place team score, and the high individual score, must be equal to or greater than 80%.