Marine Ecology Event
What is the 4-H State Marine Ecology Event?
The 4-H State Marine Ecology Event (MEE) provides 4-H youth with opportunities to demonstrate their knowledge of the marine and aquatic worlds. To prepare for the MEE, 4-H Leaders and club members go on marine field trips, visit museums and aquariums, have group study sessions, conduct internet research, and develop their own “mock contests”. In the process, youth learn important life skills.
The contest is divided into 5 sections. They are:
1. Marine and coastal plant identification;
2. Marine invertebrate animal identification;
3. Marine vertebrate animal identification;
4. Natural History Scavenger Hunt;
5. Knowledge of marine concepts and issues.
2017 SEA PERCH Mini-Challenge will be held during the MEE!
Youth are invited to come to the MEE and participate in a SEA PERCH ROV Mini-CHALLENGE. Sea Perch is an underwater robotics program that clubs can get involved in. Date: November 4, 2017
- Click HERE for the 2016 flyer (NEW FLYER COMING SOON FOR 2017).
State Marine Ecology Event (MEE) 2017
Sponsored by the Guy Harvey Ocean Foundation
Saturday, November 4, 2017
Osceola County Extension Office
1921 Kissimmee Valley Ln, Kissimmee, FL
Cost: $12 per youth participant.
The MEE is open to three groups of 4-Hers:
- Juniors (8-10)
- Intermediates (11-13)
- Seniors (14-18)
This year Marine Ecology will be moving their registration online to Florida 4-H Online (https://florida.4honline.com)!
- When: September 14-October 21
- Late registrations will be accepted until October 27th, but will incur a $30/county late fee.
Youth Participants and Team Leaders will need to have family profiles on 4-H Online and will need to register via the above link. Please consult with your county Extension office if you have any questions regarding 4-H Online if you do not have a family profile. Otherwise, please refer to this form to help you with registering for the event.
To help prepare you for registration, examples of what the registration forms look like are linked below:
- Youth Participant Registration Form: EXAMPLE
- Team Leader Registration Form: EXAMPLE
- Volunteer roles can be found HERE and should be entered by the Team Leader in the appropriate field (see above).
- Yellow fields are filled out by the county agent upon approval in their County 4-H Online system
- General youth/adult observers do not need to fill out a registration form.
Check-in………………………………………8:30 am – 9:00 am
Volunteer assignments ……………..9:00 am – 9:15 am
Introduction to Event……………………9:15 am – 9:45 am
Event/Rotations…………………………. 9:45 am -12:00 noon
Education Activities…………………….10:00 am – 1:30 pm
Lunch…………………………………………..12:00 pm – 1:30 pm
Recognition/Awards………………….. 1:30 pm – 3:00 pm
2017 Photo Contest
The State Marine and Aquatic Photography Contest is coming up as well. The deadline for all county photo entries to be received at State 4-H Headquarters is Friday, October 20 by 5 pm. For guidelines and entry forms see: http://florida4h.org/programsandevents_/marinephoto/
These one page promotional flyers are available for club leader / member distribution.
Guidelines and Registration Information
Junior Specific Materials
- Junior Multiple Choice Questions (pdf)
- Junior MEE Species List (pdf)
- Junior Species Identification Guide (pdf)
- Junior Companion Guide (pdf)
Intermediate/Senior Specific Materials
- Intermediate Multiple Choice Questions (pdf)
- Senior Multiple Choice Questions (pdf)
- Intermediate and Senior Species List (pdf)
- Intermediate/Senior Species Identification Photo Guide (pdf)
- Intermediate and Senior Companion Guide (pdf)
- Lesson 4 -Coastal Ecosystems
Click here for link to more information!
NEW – Advanced Level for Past Senior Winners
Seniors who have won a first, second, or third place in their age group in past years of the MEE are eligible to participate at an advanced level. Past first place senior winners can only return to the MEE at this level. Other senior winners can choose to participate at this level. See the MEE Guidelines for more information. Advanced level youth are responsible for senior level materials plus the following:
1. Advanced Level Species list for Sections 1, 2, and 3
2. Advanced Level Multiple Choice Questions (50)
3. Key to Advanced Level Multiple Choice questions
NEW Answer Sheets for 2017
These new answer sheets may be used for setting up mock contests and will be used in the 2017 MEE. Answer sheets contain spaces for answers as well as the names of organisms to be identified. All species are arranged alphabetically in groups so they do not follow the same order as in the slides on the CD.
- Junior Onsite Answer/species Lists (Sections 1, 2, and 3)
- Intermediate Onsite Answer/Species Lists (Sections 1, 2, and 3)
- Senior Onsite Answer/Species Lists (Sections 1, 2, and 3)
- Advanced Level Onsite Answer/Species Lists (Sections 1, 2, and 3)
- Section 4 – Sample Scavenger Hunt Clue/Answer Sheet
- Section 5 – Multiple Choice Answer Sheet (any level)
MEE Study Aides
The following links provide additional materials that may be helpful in preparing youth for the State Marine Ecology Event!
- Preparing 4-H Youth for the MEE (pdf)
- Preparation Strategies for leaders and youth (pdf)
- List of Marine Education centers/facilities in S FL
- Grey vs red snapper (pdf)
- YouTube Video on Sealife in SW FL Estuaries
Picture Flash Cards
These smaller “card-size” photos may be used in “mock MEE contests” by arranging them (or real specimens!) on a table. Youth identify the organisms by name and/or number from a given list (see next section). These cards may also be used in developing a “mock” scavenger hunts.
Upcoming MEE Workshops
A number of Florida Sea Grant agents hold “mock” Marine Ecology Events to help 4-H youth prepare for the state event.
MOCK EVENT/MEE Workshop In Cedar Key/Levy County!
October 21st , 10am-12:30 pm- Hosted by Sea Grant’s Savanna Barry. Location is the Fish and Wildlife Lab at 11350 SW 153rd Court in Cedar Key, FL 32625. Registration is required.
For more information, contact Savanna at 352-543-1095 or e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information, please contact the following:
|MEE Coordinator||4-H Online||County Contacts|
|Karen Blyler, PhD||Ben Knowles||Local Extension Offices|
|State 4-H Science Coordinator||State 4-H Information Coordinator||Link|