Public Speaking Contest
This program is designed to give 4-H’ers experience in the preparation and delivery of a 4-H related speech. This contest requires 4-H’ers to recognize, organize, and present information on a given topic. The timed speech must be orderly and thorough. 4-H’ers must acquire the ability to speak convincingly in public, expressing ideas effectively with poise and confidence.
- Junior 4-H’ers must be 8-10 years old by September 1 of the current program year.
- Intermediate 4-H’ers must be 11-13 years old by September 1 of the current program year.
- Senior 4-H’ers must be 14-18 years old by September 1 of the current program year.
- Speech must be original and specifically related to 4-H in a demonstrable way. The entire speech does not necessarily have to feature 4-H, but every contestant must, at some point in his/her speech, mention 4-H and its relationship to the material being presented. Contestants who break this rule will be subject to penalization by the judges
- Speech must have been specifically prepared for, as part of, the 4-H Public Speaking Contest.
- All requirements set forth in general regulations for participation in the Florida 4-H University must be satisfied for senior participants at the state level.
- Speeches by senior 4-H’ers should be no less than 5 and no more than 7 minutes in length.
- Speeches by junior and intermediate 4-H’ers should be no less than 3 and and no more than 7 minutes in length.
- Contestants whose speeches ignore the outlined time specifications and reference to 4-H will be subject to penalization as outlined on the score sheet.
- Previous first place 4-H Public Speaking Contest winners at state competition are not eligible to compete in this event
- Participants may refine their speeches between district and state competition, but the content should not change dramatically.
- Individual participation only, no team speeches will be allowed.
Participation Procedures and Quotas:
- The two winners in each age division (senior, intermediate & junior) at the county level may participate at the district level event
- The top two senior district winners who won blue ribbons are eligible to compete at the state level
- Entries must have completed at the county and district levels.
- Blue, Red, and White awards will be awarded based on quality of performance. First, second, and third place will be awarded to the highest scoring individuals.
- The top three senior age winners at state competition may have the opportunity to participate in the Western National 4-H Roundup Public Speaking contest in Denver, Colorado at their own expense.
For more information, contact Stacey Ellison.