Would you like to know more about how to be a better 4-H club leader? Click on the links below to explore the lessons we have set up for training 4-H volunteers. County 4-H agents can download the lessons and customize them for their county 4-H program.
(Excerpted from the Florida 4-H Volunteer Leader Training Compact Disc, produced 2001 by the UF/IFAS 4-H Youth Development Program.)
All presentations are in PowerPoint format.
Chaperone Orientation (277 KB)
- Examines requirements to be a 4-H chaperone and clarifies expectations for chaperones and their roles.
Club Program Planning (646 KB)
- Overview of how to organize a club program plan.
- Lesson on how to improve communication skills.
- Discusses 4-H involvement for youth with disabilities and how to accommodate within the club program.
Opportunities in 4-H (922 KB)
- Reviews 4-H curriculum, events and activities and other opportunities for youth within 4-H.
Orientation to 4-H for New 4-H Leaders (1337 KB)
- General overview of 4-H for new 4-H volunteers.
Recreational Leadership in 4-H (1455 KB)
- Singing, playing games, recreation safety are covered.
Teaching 4-H Demonstrations (679 KB)
- How to teach a demonstration or illustrated talk.
Teen Leadership in 4-H (804 KB)
- Leadership styles and roles, discusses how youth can lead in 4-H.
Lesson 1: The Florida 4-H Club (1329 KB)
- This lesson overviews the basic components of a 4-H club and has a sample agenda and club reports.
- Reviews how to establish a 4-H club program plan, how to make motions and use parliamentary procedure, contains a sample agenda.
- Lists ages of youth and development stages youth go through, explains leadership model used within 4-H to develop youth, has samples and a worksheet to review concepts.
- Overview of 4-H events and activities, record book teaching tips, suggestions on keeping parents informed and involved, behavior management suggestions and steps for better club functioning.
Lesson 5: Legal Issues in Working with Youth, Safety Issues in Working with Youth, Having Fun with Youth (959 KB)
- Reviews liability, risk, fundraising, child abuse, behavior guidelines for 4-H volunteers working with youth, and how to have fun.