Scholarship and Award Trip Applications will only be accepted between April 1 @ 9am – June 1 @ 4pm (EDT).
Awards & Scholarship Portfolio
Completing an Awards Portfolio will allow you to compete for national awards trips and scholarships. During this process you will learn the skills required to effectively market yourself, including how to create a resume and write a narrative about yourself. Your county 4-H agent is your most valuable resource to make sure you are prepared to submit the best portfolio you can!
- Recorded Webinar 2016
- Additional Webinars for the 2016-2017 4-H Year will announced here SOON!
All Applications must be submitted to the State 4-H Headquarters between 9:00am (EDT) on April 1 and no later than 4:00pm (EDT) on June 1. No late applications will be accepted. Check for earlier deadlines in your county.
The following instructions should be observed by all applicants.
- ONLY PDF, DOC, or DOCX files will be accepted during the upload step of the application.
- Include your Last Name and County in the file name (Example: John_Smith_Resume_Alachua.pdf)
- All documents should be typed, double-spaced, in 10-12 point black font.
- For proper formatting of answers in the senior portfolio, please follow the examples provided in this PDF.
Approval To Submit Requirements
- Before submitting your application, you are required to have your Parent/Guardian, Club Leader, AND 4-H Extension Agent review your portfolio.
- During the application process, you will be required to provide the name and e-mail addresses of these individuals.
- Upon submission, they will receive an e-mail asking them to notify us if they DID NOT review your portfolio. Submitting a portfolio under false pretenses will result in disqualification from all awards and scholarships in the current 4-H year.
Save and Continue
- If you clear your cookies or switch computers, you will no longer be able to return to your application and you will have to start over.
- For that reason, the State HQ Office recommends that you work on your answers in the available portfolio templates. When you are ready to submit your application, copy and paste your responses into the application.
There are different requirements for the National Awards Trip Application and the Scholarship Application. During the online application process, you will be asked if you are applying for Scholarships, Awards, or both. From that point on, you will only be prompted to answer questions required by your previous selection. For example, if you only select that you are applying for Award Trips – you will only be prompted to answer award trip specific questions.
- Portfolio Coverpage: PDF | WORD
- Senior Portfolio: PDF | WORD
- For proper formatting and input into our online platform please follow the examples provided in this PDF.
- 1-2 Page Resume
- Prepare and attach a 1-2 page resume that illustrates your career skills and accomplishments. It is recommended that this be submitted as a one page resume, however, two pages will be accepted.
- 2-3 Page Narrative Statement: Illustrates your most outstanding accomplishments and the impact 4-H has had in your life. The following items should be addressed in your essay:
- How have you benefited from 4-H?
- What skills have you learned in 4-H? How will they benefit you in the future?
- Select an experience in which you were part of a group and explain your contributions to the group effort.
- How will you share your experiences in 4-H?
- What impact will you be able to make as a result of your 4-H Experience?
- References: During the application process, you will be asked to provide the name and e-mail address of your two references. After you submit your application, both of your references will receive an e-mail with instructions and a link to complete the online reference form. It is recommended that you speak to these individuals in advance so they can be on the look out for the e-mail. It is your responsibility to follow-up with the State Events Office and your references to ensure they complete this process by the deadline.
- Unofficial Transcript:
- Scan an unofficial copy of your high school/college transcript
- Statement of Financial Need:
**The Dallas C. Osborne and Horseman of the Year Scholarship requires further information, please see this handout for more details.**
After the June 1st portfolio deadline, a committee will review application(s). Applicants must score a 90 or above on their portfolio application to qualify for an interview at the state level. Interviews will take place during the second day of 4-H University (August 1st, 2017). After all interviews have been completed the interview team will review the cumulative scores (portfolio score + interview score) of all interview applicants. In order to qualify for an award trip or scholarship, applicants must have received a combined average score of a 90 or greater from their portfolio and interview. Scholarships and awards will then be distributed from the highest scoring candidate down. Winners will be announced and recognized at the 4-H University Awards Banquet!
Effective for the 2013-2014 4-H year, candidates are encouraged to apply for any applicable scholarships, but will only be awarded a maximum of 3. The Presidential Scholarship is excluded from the previously mentioned award cap. There is no cap to the amount of National Trips you may apply for or be awarded.
Effective for the 2014-2015 4-H year, candidates will be asked to note their award trip preference in their portfolio. Although youth will only be awarded one trip in a 4-H year, they are encouraged to apply for the un-awarded trip the following year.
For more information on this process contact your county 4-H agent or the State Event Coordinator at (352) 846-4444.