June 22 – 26, 2020
Florida 4-H Legislators provides an opportunity for teen 4-H members to have a “learn by doing” experience in state government each summer.
During the five-day event, 4-H’ers will serve as Florida 4-H senators, representatives, lobbyists, media correspondents, Lt. Governor or Governor in a “mock” style experience. 4-H participants will get to experience what it takes for laws to be considered and passed or vetoed in a model legislative session at the Florida State Capital.
The purpose of Florida 4-H Legislature is to provide experience that prepares 4-H members for leadership in the American democratic process. Each participant learns, practices and defends the theory and process of representing citizens and making public policy.
Join us for this civic education event with youth from around the state ages 13 to 18 (as of September 1 of the current 4-H year).
Example 4-H Legislature Schedule can be found here.
Registration will be Friday, May 1, to Friday, May 22, 2020 via 4HOnline. Late registration is Saturday, May 23 to Wednesday, May 27, 2020. Additional cost of $30 is charged to the County for late registration. Agents will have until Friday, May 29, 2020 to approve or deny their participants or you may be held liable to all or a portion of their registration cost.
Preparing for Legislature
- Legislature Manual I – Provides procedures and guidelines for the Florida 4-H Legislature program. Manual 1 changes little from year to year. Therefore, until the current year’s manual is posted, previous year’s manual can be used. When participants arrive at 4-H Legislature, they should have the final edition.
- Legislature Manual II – Provides bills that will be used for the Florida 4-H Legislature program.
- Lesson 1 – Background and Overview
- Lesson 2 – Florida Government
- Lesson 4 – Mock Legislature
- Lobbyist Lingo
Each year, the 4-H Legislature Planning Committee is responsible for developing the bills that will be used at Florida 4-H Legislature. The committee welcomes and invites 4-H members, volunteers and Extension Agents to submit bills and/or ideas for bills.
Housing 2020 (suite-style dorms) – COMING SOON!
4-H Legislature Banquet – sponsored by Florida Farm Bureau!
Kelsey Haupt at khaupt.ufl.edu